Snort mailing list archives

snort 1.8.2 crash on 50Mb traffic with reassembly directive on

From: "Bruno GODARD" <Bruno.GODARD () noos com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:15:31 +0100

Hello,
During our NIDS tests, we systematicaly have snort 1.8.2 (with or without snmp
and mysql on) which crash under
50 Mb traffic composed of tiny packets of 64 bits. We test it on sun plateform
under solaris 2.7.
We just change "preprocessor stream4_reassemble" options from default to
"both:port all"
We change this option because we would test snort ability to detect  fragmented
attack on heavy traffic.
On a established 50Mb traffic, We start snort, it detects some fragmented
attack, but not all, then after some minutes it crash with a core dump.
On a 25Mb traffic it doesn't crash and detects all fragmented attacks.
Can someone have an explanation of this crash , is snort limited to small
traffic when we ask it to reassemble packet.

Thanks for idea and help

B. GODARD

Le contenu de ce message ne represente en aucun cas un
engagement de la part de Noos sous reserve de tout accord
conclu par ecrit entre vous et Noos. Toute publication,
utilisation ou diffusion, meme partielle, doit etre autorisee
prealablement. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en
avertir immediatement l'expediteur.
Pour avoir plus d'informations sur Noos : http://www.noos.com

The content of this message does not constitute a commitment
by Noos except where provided for in a written agreement
between you and Noos. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or
dissemination, either whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately.
For more information about us: http://www.noos.com