Snort mailing list archives

AW: (Snort-users) snort and nmap

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:09:00 +0200

Running nmap on the same box as snort does not work with eth0 because your
packets never get on the wire. The kernel says (very simplified): "Hey that's my
IP address so why should I send it out? I'll catch the packets and work on them
inernally."

You should use another box to test the ethernet part and you'll see, snort will
work as expected.

HTH

Ciao,
Sandro