Snort mailing list archives

Re: MySql Question

From: Guillaume <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:11:08 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à olliecat <olliecat () bellatlantic net>:

I am logging to mysql just fine and I would rather not log anywhere
else.  How can I do this?  I also noticed, when starting from the
command line, I must specify a log file path otherwise I get:

"[!] ERROR: Can not get write access to logging directory
"/var/log/snort".
(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly
or it is not a directory at all)

Fatal Error, Quitting.."

Its right, there is no /var/log/snort because I want everything in the
mysql database.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Hi.

I noticed quite the same thing: I only use MySQL to log alerts and all snort's
outputs, but snort seems to need some place on th:e filesystem (like
/var/log/snort).
I also noticed that if, for a reason or antother, snort can not connect to the
MySQL DB anymore, it switches to filesystem logging, i.e. logging alerts in
/var/log/snort directory. I would prefer when using MySQL for logging that snort
just stops logging instead... or, better, be able to use a backup MySQL server.

Guillaume.