Snort mailing list archives

Re: Wrappers

From: JPP <jpp () frws com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 15:04:52 -0700

Well

Consensus seems to be to add sshd to inetd.conf (which I did not do)
The reason I even tried in the first place was that I had read somewhere
that xinetd and SSH did not play well together.
So, all I did was copy the inetd app from the older RH machine to the
newer ones, and added the sshd: lines to the hosts. files and fired up
inetd
No additions to the inetd.conf file and just used the SSH right out of
the RPM (though I did rebuild one or 2 when some of the exploits for SSH
were announced - but nothing special aside from MAYBE wrapper support).

I will look into exactly what I added and did not add, but I know I did
not add anything to inetd.conf nor to xinetd.conf (they both work well
together and apart, btw).

Will post what I  find out for ya'all.

JPP

Skip Carter wrote:

Using Xinetd set to use hosts.allow and hosts.deny (in particular), I
have found on RedHat 7.x systems that using these files to regulate SSH
connections works quite well.

Adding to hosts.deny:
ALL: ALL

Will indeed stop SSH connections as well as everything else that uses
these wrappers (least for me it does!)

I add:
SSHD:  Some.IP.Range. or.some.ip.address

to hosts.allow and I get access once more.

I may be far off base here - but it indeed works in my case. Give it a
try. May work for you also. And possibly some kind soul can explain why
SSH is regulated this way without being added to any conf file ...

  With the appropriate entry in inetd.conf or /etc/xinetd.d   SSH and
  httpd (at least Apache anyway) CAN be tcp_wrappered (regardless of
  the Linux distro).  BUT, in both of these cases there is a significant
  program startup overhead involved, so its really not a very good idea
  for these programs unless these startup delays can be tolerated in
  your network environment.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com