Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Snort 1.8-RELEASE (Build 43) - Segmentation fault

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 21:45:00 -0500

Ok, no problem.  We're just about to release Snort 1.8.2 which has
probably solved your problem at any rate.  Check out the downloads page
at www.snort.org for more info.

     -Marty

Tomi Tuominen wrote:

Hello,

Unfortunately snort does not produce core dump - no matter what settings
I have for ulimit. I will upgrade the kernel and see if the problem goes
away.

--T

Martin Roesch wrote:

Ok.  Can you get us a backtrace?  I'd be interested to hear if upgrading
to kernel 2.4.10+ makes the problem go away too, I was reading today
about how the VM in Linux up to 2.4.9 had some serious problems.  If you
could get us a backtrace, that'd be cool, see the BUGS file for how to
generate one.  You should also check out the latest release of Snort at
www.snort.org, check for snort-current.tar.gz on the downloads page.

     -Marty

Tomi Tuominen wrote:

Hi,

First I was running snort in daemon mode but soon noticed that the
daemon mysteriously stopped working after some time. This 'some time'
could be anything from 15 minutes to 2 days. I got suspicious and and
started running snort without -D switch. This time it took about day and
a half before snort suddenly segfaulted.

I checked all my logs but the only thing which might have something to
do with this was that alert log contained multiple 'WEB-IIS cmd.exe
access' just before segfault.

--
Martin Roesch - President, Sourcefire Inc. - (410)552-6999
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com