Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS296/web-misc_http-whisker-splicing-attack-space

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb0x29a () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:40:59 -0700 (PDT)

Based on data from one of my sensors, this alert will be triggered by the
Code Red worm.  A subsequent packet will contain the actual overflow.

-A

--- tnelson () starpoint com wrote:
I'm new to snort, but I have v. 1.8.1-beta5 up and running.  I am seeing
many reports of the whisker-splicing attack, targeted at most of my web
servers.  I've read the documenation on it at whitehats.com, but I'm not
sure how to go about determining if these are actual attacks or false
alarms as they seem to be coming from many different IPs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Nelson

ps.  My appologies if this is off-topic for this list.

Tony Nelson
Director of Network Operations
Starpoint Solutions
115 Broadway, 20th Fl.
New York, NY 10006
Phone: 212-238-0851
Email: tony.nelson () starpoint com
http://www.starpoint.com

*** This email was scanned by eSafe Content Inspection Server. ***