Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie to snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:24:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, jevon wrote:

I am about to install snort on my network and I have a few questions.

You'll be glad you did...  And you'll be a bit scared...

1. I was putting a few snort boxes on my network on in front of the
firewall and a few other places.  My question is if I want to my snort box
stealth I read in snort faq, to make an receive-only cable.  If I don that
how will I be able to send stats via email?  What should I do?

Two options:
1)  Second nic on a private net
2)  Serial cable going to a console server, and do a "cat alerts"

2. I was going to plug one of my snort box in to a switch, will this work
ok? the switch is a 3com linkswith 500.

No.  Not unless the switch can mirror traffic to one port, or that it has a
'monitor' port.

3. Also if I build a box with 2 or 3 nic in it, will this help the snort
box to capture all the traffic to insure no lost packets?

Ehhhh...  Well...  It could help monitor different nets, but as increasing
performance--not really.  You're burning more cycles running more instances or
you could get saturated quicker.

4. Also, if I use a 486 DX with 64megs of memory, when that be ok on a
100mb and 10mb network?

Depends on your sustained traffic.  This has been hashed and rehashed on the
list.  Take a look at the FAQ.  It discusses this in some detail.  Check
http://www.snort.org/ and click 'FAQ' on the left.

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy