Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS zone transfer?

From: "Marek Gutkowski" <hobbit () maxus com pl>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:50:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kiira Triea" <kiira-t () mail bsasinc org>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] DNS zone transfer?

Hi,

I find it in my logs regularly. The first computer (initiating the
connection) is a www/mail server, nothing to do with DNS, running under
Linux.

Oh that has a *lot* to do with dns... sendmail and bind are married.
Are qmail and NT DNS Server also married? :)

Well if the originating machine is a mail server then it would
naturally be doing dns lookups in order to send mail out to
plopmail.com and so connecting on port 53 (dns) of the NT running dns
server. What makes you think this is an attempt at a zone
transfer... that only happens between two DNS servers.

I read the RFC and now I'm wiser :) I thought that all DNS queries go as UDP
packets.
I was wrong. Snort was also wrong :)

Thanks,
Marek