Snort mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:56:19 -0500

http://snort.protected.host.com/test-cgi/../[insert your favourite iis
exploit]

This sample triggers the "WEB-CGI test-cgi access" rule, while the real
exploit
doesn't get logged.

In this example, the 2nd exploit would be logged as part of the
packet payload captured by the 1st matching rule.

I don't see this as a design flaw.  IMHO the IDS worked properly; It
let you know something "bad" was happening.  It's the analysts job to
make sense of the events that are actually transpiring...IDS systems
are not meant to be managed by an individual or team that merely looks at
the alert description and neglects the data within the captured packet.

Lets pretend for a minute that Snort *does* check every packet against
every rule regardless of match.  What prevents h4x0r_b0b from crafting
spoofed packets that contains 50 signatures and floods your net with em,
effectively filling your IDS logs with a bunch of crap.  In the interim
h4x0r_b0b attacks one of your servers.  Now, Analyst_Jim thinks the IDS
broke and starts deleting alerts haphazardly.  h4x0r_b0b effectively
filled your IDS, hid his attack, and ruined Analyst_Jim's day.  Where is
the flaw in this scenario?  Analyst_Jim wasn't thorough in his work and
missed the attack.  Same goes with the situation you mention as a "flaw."
The
IDS isn't the flaw, the flaw resides within the person managing the data
provided by the IDS.  In any event, I would rather have my IDS report on a
one-rule basis than run the risk of h4x0r_b0b crafting the aforementioned
packets and sending them in my direction.

Blake Frantz  A+, CNA, CCNA, MCSE
Network Security Analyst
mc.net
720 Industrial Drive #121