Snort mailing list archives

Re: brut force attack not detected

From: Kiira Triea <kiira-t () mail bsasinc org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:09:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,,

I have a non configurable 8 port switch that we use for just a section that
we seperate from the rest of our network,,

How would I set that up to work as a monitor port?

rgds

Frank

Hi... Well if you cannot mirror a range or all of the ports on that switch
then a snort sensor can only see the traffic destined for its own nic -
probably not too useful. Where does that switch uplink on your lan?
If it is another switch you see the problem again.

Most switches do allow such a configuration - I have my DMZ zone boxes
on a small Asante switch and I mirror all traffic to the 100 Mbit port
where my snort sensor listens to eth1. The other nic is plugged into a
LAN switch port which has mirrored the machines I need to sniff inside.

I also sometimes break out groups of users onto a spare hub from the
switch  and plug in the snort nic there in order to diagnose problems.

HTH,

Kiira