Snort mailing list archives

Re: Memory leak

From: Michel van Osenbruggen <michel () bit nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:44:57 +0200

Hi,

The memory leak seems to come from the preprocessor stream2.
If that is active leaking goes very fast. With this disabled I still
have some
leackage, but not that bad. It is enough though to make snort stop once
in a while.
These are the other preprocessors I got running:

preprocessor defrag
preprocessor http_decode: 80 -unicode -cginull
preprocessor rpc_decode: 111
preprocessor bo: -nobrute
preprocessor telnet_decode
preprocessor portscan: $INTERNAL 5 5 /var/log/snort/portscan.log
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS
preprocessor arpspoof

Yours sincerely,
Michel van Osenbruggen

Martin Roesch wrote:

Hi Michel,
     Can you tell us which preprocessors and output plugins you have
loaded?  Those are the stateful elements of Snort, so if there's a leak
it's likely in one of those.

    -Marty

Michel van Osenbruggen wrote:

Hi,

It seems like snort 1.8 is leaking memory.
Has anyone the same experience ?

I use snort with PostgreSQL logging by the way.

Michel van Osenbruggen

--
Martin Roesch
roesch () sourcefire com

Met vriendelijke groet,      /\ ___/
Michel van Osenbruggen      /- \ _/  Business Internet Trends BV