Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort is going down sometimes...

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:59:20 -0400

Beta means "the latest code that Marty has checked into CVS, which may
or may not be 100% stable".  In the case of today, beta means "release
candidate code" which will become the release code if nobody reports any
problems, so if you want to check out today's code there's a pretty good
chance that it's what you'll be running next week.

Maybe I should switch it to snort-1.8.1-rc1 or something...

     -Marty

John Sage wrote:

Just curious...

...and to quote from another post in this thread:

"OK, I can do it and it will work, but I think it's not a good solution.

SNORT in production systems MUST be stable.

I'm not saying it is not, but I want to know why snort is dying on my
system. I have snort on other 2 systems - RH6.2 and RH7.0 with simillar
configuration and everything is working fine."

Considering that, what *does* "beta" mean?