Snort mailing list archives

Re: MISC loopback traffic

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () mitre org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:46:32 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:23:10PM +0200, Francois Baligant wrote:
      Given my investigation, I think those packet are
      generated by the Snort box itself..

      If you ping 127.11.31.241, the loopback interface
      will answers.

      So it might be response packets trigered maybe
      by a packet received from source->127.0.0.0/8

While that may be true, you should still have cause for alarm.

Loopback traffic is not supposed to be on the wire.  If snort saw it
on any interface other than loopback, you have issues.  (Hence the
signature for 127/8 :P)

-brian