Snort mailing list archives

Re: Testing Snort

From: Kiira Triea <kiira-t () mail bsasinc org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 08:37:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

One way to test Snort if your using it to watch a webserver is to use
www.safeweb.com or www.anonymizer.com and surf to you server and put cmd.exe at
the end of the url.  This should trigger the cmd.exe exploit rule.
www.yourwebserver.com/cmd.exe

    Hello, I am new to snort and am wondering how other people test to see
if snort is working on their system.  I have seen security auditing
systems available on the web for on demand system challenges...is that
how you do it?  Or enlist a friend with scanning software?

-Jonathan

Another way to generate "attacks" of your own is to get the nemesis package
from www.packetfactory.net and build frames that trigger alerts. You can put
anything in the payload as well. It's convenient (and fun!) to create
single tcp,udp or icmp frames and see how they trigger.

Kiira