Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snord it's not able to start

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:22:53 -0600

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:05:38AM +0100, RoBSD wrote:
Hello ,

I installed snort 1.7 on 4 computers and when I try to start snort
using /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd (running on some kind of redhat 6.0 -
Cobalt ) I receive the following errors in /var/log/messages

Jul 20 09:49:21 euro snort: [!] ERROR /etc/snort/scan.rules(22) => Bad
port number: "(msg:"SMTP"

or

Jul 20 09:09:06 dns1 snort: [!] ERROR /etc/snort/exploit.rules(29) => Bad
port number: "(msg:"EXPLOIT"

Look at the specific rule in the *.rules file (line 22 for scan.rules).
Determine if the different variables used in the rule are defined in your
conf file.  If they are not, then read the rule as if the offending variable
is blank.  That's what snort does.  So, it will try to interpret the the
next non-blank thing as if it were a port number.

Sorry if the response it's already in the archive but I did not found a
good possibility to search properly for my problem!

Thank you for your response!
Radu

--
Best regards,
 RoBSD                          mailto:robsd () softhome net

--
Phil Wood, cpw () lanl gov