Snort mailing list archives

1.8p1 core dump in daemon mode

From: Patrick Hawley <phawley () ociweb com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:44:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hello there. First please allow me to thank Martin, et al, for a wonderful
tool, and the list for their continued assistance.

I'm running snort-1.8p1 (which seems to respond to snort -V in the same
manner as snort-1.8-RELEASE: Version 1.8-RELEASE (Build 43)), built from
source on RH7.0 (2.2.19-7.0.1), in daemon mode from the command line, and
it generally runs for a few hours, then dumps core at some point (if I
knew when this was occuring - what was causing it - I wouldn't be wasting
your time with this email! ;).

Here's how I start snort:

/usr/local/bin/snort -d -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx -l
/home/phawley/rpms/snort/log -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D

and the basic gdb output is attached at the end of this post.

Obviously, there is more information required from me, though I'm not sure
what is needed, so please let me know, and I'll provide is ASAP.

<tedium>
Also, I checked the website to see if the version expected tomorrow
(fingers crossed) was possibly out early, and saw the following
confusing info:

July 9, 2001
VERSION 1.8 RELEASED!
(Update released 10/12/2001)

...I assume the update line is supposed to read 7/12/2001, right?
</tedium>

Again, thanks to everyone for all previous and future posts to this list!

-- Patrick

[root@apollonia snort]# gdb /usr/local/bin/snort
/home/phawley/rpms/snort/core
GNU gdb 5.0
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
Core was generated by `/usr/local/bin/snort -d -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx -l
/home/phawley/rpms/snort/log -c'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnsl.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libssl.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libssl.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_nis.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_nis.so.2
#0  Rotate (p=0x809c00c) at ubi_SplayTree.c:212
212         parentp->Link[(int)way] = tmp;
(gdb)