Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS 53 <-> 53 ?

From: Ramin Alidousti <ramin () cannon eng us uu net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:39:21 -0400

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:12:58PM +1000, John Berkers wrote:

This looks like a DNS Server is using a forwarder.  When a DNS Server cannot
resolve a name from its own zone files or cache, and has a forwarder

It seems bizar to me that a big ISP forwards the queries to him (apparently
a customer). That's why spoofing could be an option.

configured, it passes the query to the forward lookup server.  Communication
is 53<->53, as you discovered.  This is quite normal behaviour (if both
servers are DNS servers).  If there are no forwarders configured it will
start probing root servers (a.root-servers.net, b.root-servers.net etc),
with similar port information.

There are a whole bunch of details in a DNZ zone.  The SOA record is the
Start Of Authority.  It is supposed to identify the primary server for the
domain, the administrative email address, default expiry, time to live,
refresh etc.  I guess you know A's are Address records, CNAMEs are Canonical
Names (aliases), AAAAs are IPv6 addresses, MX are Mail eXchangers, NS are
Name Servers.

As for why an ISP's DNS server is doing forward lookups off your firewall?
Beats me.  The address was not used for a DNS server in the past was it?

My $A0.02 (which is equivalent to about $US0.01 :)

Your explanation above is worth much more than $US0.01. Another 4 emails
and the rates will be 1:1 :-)

Ramin