Snort mailing list archives

Gnutella based applications

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:51:30 -0600

Folks,

This is somewhat (or entirely) off topic, but you all seem to be a good
bunch to bounce this question off of:

Is there any information on the emerging "peer to peer" protocols such
as Gnutella, from a {corporate, business, government} security standpoint?

In essence, this emerging technology breaks many, if not all, firewall
implementations.  From a starry eyed, new age point of view, its wonderful
to behold.  Everyone makes their entire storage hierarchy (program, memory,
hard disk, archives)  available to everyone else in the world.  All information
is available from all to all.  No more secrets.  No more need for intrusion
detection.

But, what about the organization, let's say Microsoft, or your's,
that presumably has some "secrets" to protect.  I can only imagine an air
gap'd network, like some of the secure networks I've known, that is not
connected in anyway, other than uploads (not via a network and, absolutely,
no downloads).  Bye bye Internet.

Gotta go help with the goats.  Talk to you later.

Phil

--
Phil Wood, cpw () lanl gov