Snort mailing list archives

Re: -b binary capture

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:11:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Greg Sarsons wrote:

I see that snort by default with binary dump captures 1514.  Well this
is just to much for my little 30 Gig hard drive on a busy school
network.  I'm going to do some analysis with snort after but will also
be using tcptrace, ipfw and a few others.

If I grab 10%, say 150 vice 1514, will I really be limiting what I can
do after?  Doesn't tcpdump by default grab 68.

You limit youself because if you don't get the full packet payload.  That can
be the difference between a false postive and an actual attack.

And yes, tcpdump does grab 68.  Just headers, no payload.

The traffic bw from what I know on the network has peaked at about
20Mb/sec but the average seems to be 11Mb/sec.  If I plug into another
smaller subnet the traffic bw could drop even more.

Sounds about average for what you are describing.

Again this has got to fit on a 30Gig drive.  The more days that I can
capture the better for the statistics.  Filling the hard drive in only
one day doesn't really give a nice look.

Ug...  I'm assuming you're using IDE?

Any recommendations?

Other that drop a $100 and get another drive?  :-)  You might consider
dumping the data off to another box for post processing every so often.

You're in kinda a tough spot...  Sorry I can't be of more help.

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net