Snort mailing list archives

Re: A Query about dropped packets

From: Ashley Thomas <athomas () unity ncsu edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:13:56 -0400

I am running snort as:

./snort -d -h 10.0.0.0/24 -c snort.conf

How do i make sure that name lookup is turned off ? (There was no mention of
this in the help / manual)

thanks
Ashley

Phil Wood wrote:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:50:28PM -0400, Ashley Thomas wrote:
Hi all,

I am running Snort on openBSD 2.9.
I keep getting packets and when i terminate it gives some statistics
which include

"Snort analyzed 1716 out of 2979 packets, dropping 1263(42.397%)
packets"
I bet you have turned on name lookup?  You should never see dropped packets
like that with only 2979 packets.

Does this mean snort is dropping packets or does it mean that Snort
analysed only 1716 ?

It means that snort only saw 1716 of the 2979 packets that drifted by
your sensor.  The kernel droped 1263, presumably because snort never
got back in time to lift them into user space.
In the latter case what is the filter used to filter 1716 out of 2979
packets and drop the rest ?

Is this because there is something wrong in the configuration ?

Any pointers is welcome.

thanks a lot
Ashley

--