Snort mailing list archives

Logging not working

From: Ed Kasky <ed () esson net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:20:45 -0700

I just installed snort for the first time in hopes of using it as an IDS for our small network. I am having trouble figuring out the logging and can't find the exact answer in the archives or the docs as of yet.

Setup:  Snort Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 74)
                Redhat 6.1

I start snort with the following:
/usr/local/bin/snort -D  -c /usr/local/snort/snort.conf

From the faq:
If you specified a logging directory with the -l parameter then that is where your files are located. If you did not specify a logging directory then Snort will log to /var/log/snort/. In the past, running Snort in daemon mode (-D) produced a file named "snort.alert". For consistency sake, this has been changed. Running Snort in both standard or daemon modes (-D) will produce a file named "alert".

However, when I start snort, the following are created depending on the date and time of course:

0 Sep 20 20:09 0920@2009-snort.alert
0 Sep 20 20:09 0920 () 2009-snort log

...and they stay empty.  There is no "alert" in /var/log/snort/

Any pointer as to where to look next are appreciated.....

Ed
~~