Snort mailing list archives

Re: Nimda Rules

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:03:17 -0600

I have used these two successfully.

Note: I got these off another list, I can't remember who posted them,
but they work.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS 80 (msg:"CONCEPT ATTEMPT";
uricontent:"c+dir"; nocase; flags:A+; classtype:attempted-admin;
rev:1;)

alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg:"Possible CONCEPT Worm Email
Attachment"; content: "readme.exe"; nocase; flags:A+;)

This second rule seems to trip on every inbound email regardless of
whether "readme.exe" exists or not. Any thoughts on what I might be
doing wrong?

Rich