Snort mailing list archives

RE: Nimda in action deplorable stuff this...

From: <ktimm () server1 stingrey com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:44:00 -0500 (CDT)

Check out gaurdian , snort combination

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Franki wrote:

sorry mate, I went there on a windows 2000 box that has IIS running,
(testing perl scripts)

and when it asked me to download the file, I did, saved it to my desktop,
and scanned it with innoculate, (didn't find anything) then zipped it so I
wouldn't accidentally run it, and deleted the original...

I was going to all the sites from my logs to look for email address's to
warn people about their server when I came accross them... I clicked cancel
when it asked to download on each one, and had no problems...

I thought I would mention,, I have been goin to the pages of the IP's
showing up in the logs, so as to get some real email address's instead of
guess...

Most of the pages that came up, were default NT4 or 2000 pages, ie these
people don't even know they are running a web server...  also, a port scan
of them show that most of them didn't even have firewalls around them,,, and
had at least 20 or more ports listening on them...

That is deplorable lack of though into security...

just thought I'd mention it.....

Does anyone have a small perl/shell script that can use ipchains to block
any ip that requests cmd.exe, root.exe, admin.dll etc etc???   sometime like
that would be small and lite and much less impact on the systems then
snort.... and just as effective in this case....

anyone??

rgds

Frank