Snort mailing list archives

Re: chroot semantics fubar again in 1.8

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:29:20 -0700

Uhm.... by the time your snort in the chroot jail is compromised
and they're mucking in your jail the sensor has _already_ been
tampered with and having the rules and other files there won't make
much difference, it's just as easy to muck with a compromised
binariy's memory data as it is with it's chroot jail files so little
overall increased security is gained by not having that stuff in
the jail, imho...

If you are concerned with that, keep another copy around outside
the jail and wrapper snort with a little script that does a diff and
reports any mods between that and your copy outside the jail.
Even better if  you do this as a aprt of whatever keeps your snort
runningand restarts it.

Of course this is also another reason why we are working to make
sure there are _no_ sensor crashes, even sporadic ones, nevermind
the nasty ones that can be initiated by specific net traffic, or even
nastier, be exploited.... crashes which I think have been avoided so far,
thankfully. 1.8's non-new features  of snort are all still stable, afaik...
Every new release of snort has always had a little bit of a shakedown
period for a few weeks as little loose ends turn up, and my thanks to
all that are participating in getting all the kinks out.

Ok... back to that other stuff....

just my 2c,
--dr

P.s.  Here is a small shell script fragment that will restart your
snort if it's gone and log restarts... I recommend putting in a crontab that's
run periodically.... And checking _any_ restarts very carefully!

#!/bin/sh
$i = "snort.conf"
for $IFACE in fxp0 fxp1
do
    if [ -f /var/run/snort_$IFACE.pid ]; then
        if !  ps -p `cat /var/run/snort_$IFACE.pid` > /dev/null ; then
              echo `date` snorthup: removing bogus pidfile >>/var/log/messages
              echo `date` snorthup: restarting absentee snort on $IFACE with conf file $i >>/var/log/messages

              rm -f /var/run/snort_$IFACE.pid
              /usr/local/bin/snort -D -c $i -i $IFACE
        fi;
      else
           echo `date` snorthup: restarting snort on $IFACE with conf file $i >>/var/log/messages

            /usr/local/bin/snort -D -c $i -i $IFACE
      fi
done