Snort mailing list archives

RE: Code Red attacks

From: "Jason Withrow" <jwithrow () mediaone net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:23:11 -0400

I like it.

It makes complete sense to me.

- Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of Greg
Wright
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 7:56 PM
To: 'snort-users () lists sourceforge net'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Code Red attacks

I liked the idea of configuring the server to return data to an
exploited system that will patch the hole, however the potential
legality issues frighten me, however I wonder...
Isn't it possibly a little convoluted in that the exploited system that
you are 'putting' data on is actually requesting *something* from your
server initially. The action of 'putting data' is the serving of a
request initiated by the infected system.
If you were to put data on your web server system that stops CodeRed,
and an affected box attempted to scan for and pass a request to your
server, then the data that it passes back was not sent directly, but
sent in response to a request.
What is the general opinion on this?
Regards,
Greg Wright