Snort mailing list archives

Re: Port scanning

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:04:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Subba Rao wrote:

I am running Snort with the following command line options.

./bin/snort -l ./logs -c ./etc/snort.conf -o -b -A fast -z est -i eth0 -p
-t /usr/snort -g snort -u snort

Normal enough.

In "snort.conf" I have the following configuration,

preprocessor stream4: detect_scans
preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log

Normal.

Now, I dial to the Internet using another system and run a portscan on the
Snort box. All I am seeing is some ICMP "Echo Reply" logged into the
"alerts" file. There is nothing logged into "portscan.log" while the
ipchains is logging each port connect attempt into syslog.

Not so normal.  :)

What do I need to modify in the configuration file or on the command line
options to log the port scans?

I'm assuming eth0 is a normal ethernet interface.  Nothing odd like PPoE and
the like...  It would seem that IPchains is 'intercepting' and 'blocking' the
packets before they are able to be processed.  This has been bounced around on
the list quite a bit, so I'd suggest searching the archives before taking my
words on it! :)

Good Luck!

-----
Erek Adams