Snort mailing list archives

Re: Forcing an interface into promis mode at bootup

From: David Gadbois <gadbois () computer org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:56:42 -0500

gfricke () hushmail com wrote:

I know this is more of a Linux question, but my application is on my Linux box running snort as a NIDS.  How do you
configure an interface (eth0) to be in proisc mode during the execution of the network script at bootup.  I have set
the eth0 to be a black interface and would like it to be in promisc mode on boot so that I don't have to shell in and
type the command every time it reboots.  Thanks in advance.

Others have mentioned adding "promisc" to the ifconfig command line.  If
you are using Red Hat-style startup scripts, you can add a line
"PROMISC=yes" to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

--David Gadbois