Snort mailing list archives

Re: SNORT on Trend Micro Interscan virus wall box

From: Gordon Ewasiuk <gewasiuk () gnmc net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tomorrow, Jonathon.Kalaugher () sbg-ap com wrote:
Hello List,

I am considering placing a copy of SNORT on a Trend Micro box Interscan
virus wall box on Win2k/NT4.0.

This server sits in a DMZ and intercepts all incoming SMTP, HTTP, FTP
traffic destined for our Web and intranet servers.

It does not process outgoing HTTP, DNS etc

Does this sound like a good idea?

Hi Jonathon,

Sounds like a good start.  I'd suggest showing all traffic to the Snort
box though.  Snort appears to detect a wide range of attacks, probes, and
scans.

My install, which took place about two weeks ago, has all inbound and
outbound traffic mirrored to a separate network directly off my Foundry
switches (1st point of entry into the datacenter I work at).  So, my Snort
box sees everything and detects everything.  Not sure if it's the optimal
method (I think some might deploy the Snort box BETWEEN their external
networks and internal networks, ala another firewall:

Internet <-----> Snort <------> Internal networks

Mine looks like this:

Internet <-----> 2 Foundry Switches <-----> Firewalls <-----> internal

                     snort box

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck!

-Gordon

Gordon Ewasiuk, Certifed Sun Fanatic,  Winstar VHC
The REAL office number is here----->  703.893.4901
Tired of BSODs, My Computer, and Code Red?
http://www.sun.com/solaris/binaries/