Snort mailing list archives

snort on obsd performance

From: "skop d'skop" <skop () visto com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:40:24 -0700

all
i'm running openbsd 2.8 (i386)
// cpu0: Intel Pentium II (Klamath) ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 267 MHz
//real mem  = 66682880 (65120K)

compile my kernel with this add option (as on openbsd faq)
//option          NMBCLUSTERS=2048

yet my server still can't handle large traffic (2+2)  even with -A fast .
recently it stop the service after 30-40 minutes of running (snort -d -A fast -c snort.conf -l /var/log/snort )
surprising it works well as on same set up for firewall using ipf/ipnat.

anyone has tips on improving the performance / tuning of openbsd to handle large traffic ?

-skop