Snort mailing list archives

Snort On Windows - Major Announcement

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:34:13 -0700

To all Windows users of Snort:
Please read all the notices below.
Here at Silicon Defense we have undertaken the project of providing you
with the binaries for the RELEASE version of Snort 1.8.1. We will also
do our best to provide you with the latest compiled CVS version of
Snort. We will also continue to provide you with all the binaries for
Snort 1.7.1, and all the necessary support files.
We have changed our site to make it easier to navigate around. We will
try to keep all the latest support files on our site (MySQL, ADODB,
Acid, Snortsnarf, NMake, PHP, Perl, etc.), including links to homepages
of the support files.
We also have the latest documentation on installing Snort on your
Windows platform (NT4, 2000 (Pro, Server, AS), XP (Pro, Server,AS). The
documentation will guide you through the complete process of setting
your particular Windows environment to be complete IDS (Intrusion
Detection System), beginning with Snort as your sensor all the way to
viewing your alerts with either Snortsnarf or Acid. All the necessary
support files you may need for your particular installation can be found
on our site. We want to make it as easy as possible, and hopefully we
have done that to get you up and Snorting.
Notice: Please check our site regularly as things change on a regular
basis. We will only be posting major announcements to the Snort Users
Group concerning our Windows support program.
Notice to all our clients: We will ONLY be supporting the RELEASE
version of Snort 1.7.1 & 1.8.1 at this time.
Notice to all Windows XP users: We have a patch for WinPcap available
that will allow you to run Snort 1.8.1. This patch is NOT supported by
anyone. We are waiting for an official RELEASE version of WinPcap by the
programmer that will include support for the latest Windows operating
system called "Windows XP". This patch has been working fine for several
weeks and will be located on our download page.
Notice: FlexResp is BROKEN:-(. We are waiting for a new release of
LibnetNT.dll, and that should fix the problems we are having with that.
Link to Downloads:
http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/downloads.htm
Link to Documetation:
http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/windows.htm
Happy Snorting, and remember - We are the #1 provider for Snort Support
in the world.
-Mike
           Commercial Snort Support
                1.866.41.SNORT
Silicon Defense - www.silicondefense.com
Michael Steele - Snort Support Technician