Snort mailing list archives

AW: (Snort-users) Log analysis tools

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:52:00 +0200

Try ACID. It's not that simple to install because of
various support packages
needed and it's database related, but you get all alerts
when they happen
/nearly realtime) and it can be queried via a browser.

ACID can be found on http://www.cert.org/kb/acid/

Thank you for replying and this info. Is ACID a memory hog?

Well, I'm running snort on 4 interfaces (100 MBit/s FD, average to low
utilization) and also SnortSnarf and ACID including a mysql database all on a
PIII/800 with 256 MB RAM. I did not have any memory or cpu probs yet (pssst: I'm
running also ntop to get infos about the utilization of the interfaces on the
same machine, but please don't tell it to others >8).

SnortSnarf needs
lot of tuning up(that is another discussion). I would assume
that such (ACID)
setup would be on a different box and not on the Snort agent itself.

Of course this is a better solution especially if you are using more than one
snort sensor to log into the same database. But as said before, no probs yet.

Thank you once again.

Anytime,
Sandro