Snort mailing list archives

Re: Again, bBrackets around 1st varible in snort.conf

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Randy wrote:

OK - by request, here's my snort.conf with the net numbers edited out.

[...snip...]

"snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR /etc/snort/exploit.rules (6) => Rule IP addr
([143.138.0.0) didn't x-late, WTF?"

Ok, from that snippet above, It looks like you're not placing brackets around
all of it.  It seems to only be seeing the first of the brackets.

On my box:

var HOME_NET [10.10.0.0/24,10.10.10.0/24]
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

[...snip...]

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 77)
By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)

Runs fine....

[...snip...]

A few things:

        * Make sure on what snort you're _really_ running.  Use snort -V to
check the version.
        * Make sure the version you're calling really is the right one.  Very
easy to boff if you're trying to setup chroot'ed jails.
        * Instead of trying the vision.conf setup, try the standard ones from
the snort-1.8.1-RELEASE tarball.  cp *.rules /wherever/they/live/
        * Find is your friend.  cd / ; find . -type f -name snor\* -print
That should help make sure about some of the above points.

We're not saying you're crazy--It's just that others are doing this, and it
works....  So it looks to be something local to your setup.

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy