Snort mailing list archives

Re: FlexResp Running (I THINK!)

From: Joe McAlerney <joey () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:04:12 -0700

Mike Steele and I are going to spend some time tomorrow looking into
this, and other issues with the various Win32 builds.  We'll be sure to
report anything that comes out of our research, and hopefully get back
with some solutions.

Kind Regards,

-Joe M.

--
|   Joe McAlerney     joey () silicondefense com   |
| Silicon Defense - Technical Support for Snort |

Ben Johansen wrote:

OK
on winnt 4.0 running running Snort_flexresp_181 from silicon defense.

NOTE: I have tried ; in the vars (like readme.flexresp states) same problem

Vars in Config file
-----------------
# just stop the offender
var RESP_TCP resp:rst_snd

# also kill a possible local counterpart
var RESP_TCP_URG resp:rst_all

under web-iis.rules tried
-------------------------
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS 80 (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe
access"; flags: A+; content:"cmd.exe"; nocase; classtype:attempted-user;
sid:1002; rev:1; $RESP_TCP;)
- Dr. Watson

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS 80 (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe
access"; flags: A+; content:"cmd.exe"; nocase; classtype:attempted-user;
sid:1002; rev:1; $RESP_TCP_URG;)
- Dr. Watson

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS 80 (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe
access"; flags: A+; content:"cmd.exe"; nocase; classtype:attempted-user;
sid:1002; rev:1; resp:rst_all;)
- Dr. Watson

But when I used the React instead of the Response

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS 80 (msg:"WEB-IIS cmd.exe
access"; flags: A+; content:"cmd.exe"; nocase; classtype:attempted-user;
sid:1002; rev:1; react:block;)

No Crash, and also no log entries in snort.log...
I am assuming this is a good thing, and snort is blocking the trafic

Any comments ;)

Ben Johansen - www.pcforge.com