Snort mailing list archives

Re: Installing Libpcap on RedHat 7.1

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:37:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Tim Bogart wrote:

I had the same problem with ethereal.  It seems libpcap-0.6.2.tar.gz does not
contain a shared source file (*.so*).  Mandrake and RedHat are still close
enough that I was able to download the libcap0-0.6.1-5mdk.i586.rpm for
Mandrake (not Mandrake cooker!) and get around it.  Maybe this would work for
your snort problem as well.

Easier solution:  Install Free/Net/OpenBSD on the same hardware.  :)

*ducks*

Seriously, check in the config.status or config.log for what it's choking on.
You should be able to manually link a copy if needed then.

I would _suggest_ that you ditch the RPM things, go grab the source from
tcpdump.org and build it by hand.  That way, you know where it goes and you
have the 'best' version that's known and stable.

Oh, and please keep in mind:  I don't know anything about Linux.  I'm just
speaking in general terms here....

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams