Snort mailing list archives

Re: snortreport -- SLOOOW

From: Jacob Killian <jacob () pgtc com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:00:22 -0500

Thanks Jason.

I know that I have an obnoxiously large dataset (see below), but my CPU and
memory aren't bad (not great, but definately not bad).

CPU: 600Mhz AMD Athalon
Mem: 384M, w/ 512M Swap
Alerts: 257792 records in the event table (  :~ }  << peevish grin.  Haven't
worked on reducing the number of false positives yet -- get alerts for ICMP
traffic, etc.  I was hoping to use snortreport to help with that).

While a report is being run, I get an instance of mysqld running with maximum
CPU utilization (it does play nice, but will use 97% if nothing else is
running).  Memory utilization is fine (doesn't even use any of the swap
space).

I set the DB.php back to the way it was.  Thought about commenting out the
line in srconf.php before I changed DB.php, but didn't.

I guess I need to work on reducing the number of alerts before I work with
snortreport anymore?

I really need a reporting tool which is able to handle a very obnoxiously
large dataset, as I have 5 class C's I need to monitor.  I don't really want
to seperate the databases.  Snort is handling the load OK...i.e., no dropped
packets in the last 48 hours, as near as I can tell.  There aren't any
dropped packets on the interface, and every time I intentionally trigger an
alert, Snort picks it up (even when running multiple instances of nmap
against multiple hosts).  Is there a way to get statistical info from snort
(packets processed, packets dropped, alerts triggered, etc)?

Who's working ot the SQL optimization?

Thanks again,
Jacob