Snort mailing list archives

snort-win2k-serial

From: Sherif El-Kassas <sherif () aucegypt edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:20:05 +0300

Hi all,
I want to run snort to monitor a ppp connection on a win2k box. I know
that this really depends on WinPcap and that it doesn't support ppp on
win2k (see faq below).
Has anyone found a workaround for this?
Many thanks,
Sherif

---
From http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/faq.htm

Q-4: Can I use WinPcap on a PPP connection?

A: We have tested WinPcap on PPP connections under Windows 95, Windows
98 and Windows ME. In Windows 95, due to a bug in NDIS, WinPcap
sometimes resets the PPP connection. In Windows 98/ME this bug appears
to be corrected, and WinPcap seems to work properly. Under Windows NT
and Windows 2000 there are problems with the binding process, that
prevents a protocol driver from working properly on the WAN adapter.