Snort mailing list archives

RE: read-only cable

From: Thomas Nilsen <thomas.nilsen () kverneland com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:20:39 +0200

If you're looking for a Ethernet CAT5 read-only cable, use the following
diagram to build one. This was posted by Frank Knobbe some time ago to the
list.

LAN       Sniffer
1 -----\    /-- 1
2 ---\ |    \-- 2
3 ---+-*------- 3
4 -  |        - 4
5 -  |        - 5
6 ---*--------- 6
7 -           - 7
8 -           - 8

If there is a problem with spaces, the diagram below uses dots
instead of spaces.

LAN.......Sniffer
1.-----\..../--.1
2.---\.|....\--.2
3.---+-*-------.3
4.-..|........-.4
5.-..|........-.5

From the description to the diagram, you say you connect 1 &
2 to 3 & 6 and
vice versa on the other side

Nope. 3 & 6 go from one side to 3 & 6 on the other. Then
_on_one_side_only_ you connect 1 to 3 and 2 to 6. This will be the
LAN side. On the sniffer side you connect 1 directly to 2.

Again, make sure you connect the LAN side into a hub, not a switch.