Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort as a service in W2k

From: Steve Moran <steve.moran () csssoftware com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:09:43 -0600

its not that the service isn't starting, which would be the case if I typo'd
a path or a something along those lines.  Its that after it does start, no
logging occurs, no alert.ids is created, and snort does not appear in the
processes list.  However, if I run it via command line, with the same
options, alert.ids is created, I get acid alerts, and snort is in the
processes list.
According to the instructions
 instsrv srvany c:\path\srvany.exe
 instsrv snort c:\path\srvany.exe

then find snort in the registry and add the parameter key, and the two
strings, application with the value of the path, and appparameters with the
flags.  I've done all that, and what happens is that when I start the
service srvany start, but not snort.  I've checked my other snort boxes and
the reg entry looks ok.