Snort mailing list archives

RE: Effective Snort Design Methodologies

From: "Ace" <ace_wizard () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:44:06 -0600

Have a look at Bastille Linux:

http://www.bastille-linux.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net]On Behalf Of roger
clemens
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 3:02 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Effective Snort Design Methodologies

All,

I have been assigned a project to harden three Linux
7.1 systems to be specifically deployed as IDS sensors
running the latest snort.

What are the more popular and effective snort design
and configuration methodologies for deploying sensors
at the following three points:

1. Just outside the public interface of a Check Point
Firewall
2. Just outside the DMZ interface of the check Point
3. Just outside the private interface of the check
point firewall

What are the more reliable, scalable and performance
driven solutions for gathering traffic at each point?
For example:

1. Should I use taps or span some ports
2. should I use a hub

If anyone has some real world topology maps or
projects they can share with me I would very much
appreciate it.

If I am leaving other important points out of the
equation please let me know. I am sure there is
something.

Thank you,

Richard