Snort mailing list archives

RE: ICMP Destination Unreachable (Communication Administratively Prohibited)

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () sys-security com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:00:34 +0200

Dushyanth,

The Error message indicates that the destination system is configured to
reject datagrams from the sending system. This error is used when
datagrams based on some sort of criteria are being filtered by a
filtering device (firewall/router/other filtering devices) restrictions
or other security measures.

We can conclude that our Destination Host might be up and running, but
we cannot reach it, since the filtering device is blocking our packets,
and is instructing us to stop sending datagrams.

With the next example a router is configured to block all requests,
coming from the Internet, targeting port 53 on the destination machine
it applies its ACL on:

05/09/01-12:29:41.399543 RoutersIP -> SourceIP
ICMP TTL:244 TOS:0x0 ID:24442 IpLen:20 DgmLen:56
Type:3 Code:13 DESTINATION UNREACHABLE: PACKET FILTERED
** ORIGINAL DATAGRAM DUMP:
SourceIP:4667 -> DestinationIP:53
TCP TTL:53 TOS:0x0 ID:40019 IpLen:20 DgmLen:60
**U****F Seq: 0x97EABAF6 Ack: 0x1C1D1E1F Win: 0x2223 TcpLen: 8
UrgPtr: 0x2627
** END OF DUMP
00 00 00 00 45 00 00 3C 9C 53 40 00 35 06 29 B0 ....E..<.S@.5.).
xx xx xx xx yy yy yy yy 12 3B 00 35 97 EA BA F6 .....Z...;.5....

For more information please see "ICMP Usage In Scanning" Chapter 2 page
20, 52-53. Available from
http://www.sys-security.com/html/projects/icmp.html.

Regarding your example, these systems report that communication from
your system was not able to reach its destination because a filtering
device blocked your packets.

If you had put the complete trace we would be able to tell what
communication exactly caused this error message to be trigger.

Ofir Arkin [ofir () sys-security com]
Founder
The Sys-Security Group
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA