Snort mailing list archives

Beginner w/ IDS and snort

From: "Snail945" <snail945 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:02:49 -0700

Hello-

This is a beginner's question.  I'm just getting started with an IDS project
based on "free tools" and would appreciate some advise on the platform to
use and any pointers from those who have seen the "good and the bad".

I'm thinking about using either a Linux/SNORT/DEMARC solution or a Windows
2000/SNORT solution for the IDS.  I come from many years of administering
Windows based systems and am very comfortable administering and securing
them, but am sorta a "beginner to intermediate" with Linux and Unix.  That
said, I'm very much open to building this IDS on the "ideal platform" and
doing whatever research and testing is required to make it successful.  I'm
comfortable with cli, but regardless of platform, I'd like to have a
front-end that provides meaningful "quick-glance" information, and a way to
sort through all the data.

I'd really appreciate any objective advise on which platform to move forward
with and general pointers.

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Byron