Snort mailing list archives

Re: getting started how to ..help

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Michael Boman wrote:

how does your snort.conf look like? Try sending us the output from the
following:

# cat /usr/local/etc/snort.conf | grep -v ^# | grep -v ^$

( this gives us the whole config file without any comments )

# /usr/local/bin/snort -T -d -h 192.168.0.0/24 -l /var/log/snort -c
/usr/local/etc/snort.conf

( "-l" specifies a logdir, while you seem to want to choose a file )

Brent,

        In addition to those excellent suggestions, I'd suggest you upgrade to
1.8,1-RELEASE.  It's been out about 2-3 weeks now, and it's much more stable
than any of the other versions.  It's also configured a bit better out of the
box. :)

        You can find that at:  http://snort.sourcefire.com/downloads .  You
may also want to take a bit of time to have a look at the FAQ.  Many, Many
good answers are in there.  http://snort.sourcefire.com/docs/faq.html

        And if that still doesn't help, we'll break out the clue sticks and
whack you.  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy