Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort rules / arachnids

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:56:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Jason Long wrote:

Is arachNIDS meant to be ran by itself or in conjunction with the snort
rules? Currently I've been running the arachNIDS ruleset by itself and am
wondering if I'm missing out on alot of alerts. On the otherhand, I don't
want to be overwelmed with false positives.

Well...  This is a 'loaded' question.  :)  Rulesets are meant to be used.
But, the more rules you have the longer it takes packets to be matched against
them.  If you only have 10 rules, well that's a whole lot less than 2,000.
Marty does some neat things to speed this up, but that basically holds true.

Here's the 'loaded' part:  Deciding what rules are important to you/your
company.  If you don't have _any_ machines running IIS, why turn it on?  Oh,
yeah, someone might have brought in a laptop with IIS running....  It's all a
policy decision.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Go to http://www.snort.org/ or http://snort.sourcefire.com/ and check out the
downloads.  Theres some perl there that will merge two rulesets and drop out
dupes.  There is also a windows based GUI at http://www.activeworx.com/.

Hope this helps.

-----
Erek Adams