Snort mailing list archives

SIGUSR1 and stats

From: "Jonathan J. Hart" <jhart () ccs neu edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:51:02 -0400 (EDT)

'morning,

I was told by the helpful crew on #snort that sending a SIGUSR1 to the
snort process would cause it to dump its statistics.  It does, but only
once.  For example, I arrive in the morning and want to see if snort was
dropping packets.  I send SIGUSR1 to the process and the desired messages
go to /var/log/messages .  However, additional SIGUSR1's throughout the
day do nothing.  This seems to be a one-shot deal, and I'm curious if this
was the desired action or if I should suspect wonkiness on my end.

1.8.1-rc2 (Build 73) on OpenBSD 2.9

TIA,

-jon