Snort mailing list archives

Re: password sniffingj

From: Pär Thoren <par.thoren () consultant saab se>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:07:04 +0200

Try this software..

http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/

I use it for this purpose

Tracy R Reed wrote:

Are there snort rules which will detect passwords being sent in cleartext?
I am interested in catching any passwords being sent in the clear in a
number of protocols (http, pop, imap, etc). It is against corporate policy
to send passswords in the clear but we have no way of knowing whether a
developer has done something silly like set up non-ssl http authentication
on some web server somewhere. I suppose I could run linsniff but it would
be nice to have something integrated with snort that supported more
protocols.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief.