Snort mailing list archives

RE: A new variation of CodeRed???????????

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:08:46 -0500 (CDT)

"John Davey" <john () davey net au> wrote in response to me:

What you forwarded looks just like what I've been
calling CodeRedII.

Nope. It's different.
Look at offset 0f0 & 1b0 and you will see some obvious
differences in the payload.

Then Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com> wrote:

CRv1 and CRv2 have portions in them that are variable (self-modifying
code, for example.)  If you exclude those small address ranges from the
sum, it will work.  Every copy of CodeRed II is identical.

Which leads me to ask ( I genuinely don't know .... ) how
significant the differences John pointed out actually are.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department