Snort mailing list archives

portscan-ignoreports

From: "Jonathan J. Hart" <jhart () ccs neu edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi there,

First off, snort rules.  Second, the new snort site looks great.

On a few of our busier machines, my portscan log seems to get very
large.  Ports 110 and 113 (pop, ident) make up most of the apparent
scans.  Whether or not these are in fact real scans, or there is some
wonkiness going on between two machines is a matter of opinion.  The
ability to ignore certain hosts when tracking portscan activity is very
handy, but I think that a feature that allows you to select certain ports
to ignore would be just as cool.

Thoughts?

-jon