Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort+database HOWTO???

From: Peter Bates <Peter.Bates () lshtm ac uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 17:17:39 +0100

Hello again all...

User error, I suspect, caused my problems...

I fiddled with so many things that I don't really
know what I changed!

First of all postgres(postmaster) wasn't starting
with the -i option, and so was only opening a
Unix domain socket... I presume, following that,
that the snort db plugin explicitly uses TCP/IP sockets.

I also might have had ipchains/iptables on the box filtering
out the accesses (but that seems unlikely), but the real
show-stopper was my strange combination of logging
and command-line switches...

For historical reasons, I've been logging to syslog (to watch,
and to use snort-stat), to /var/log/snort (to contribute to
the securityfocus ARIS project), and I was now trying to
have a quick look at ACID to then remove one of the other logging forms...

I was starting snort with:

snort -u snort -g snort -de -D -o -i ethx -N -l /var/log/snort -c /etc/snort.conf

and the -N was making the merry thing segfault.

Then in snort.conf I had:

output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
output alert_full: alert
output database: log, postgresql, etc. etc. .etc

A case of 'too many command-line options and outputs spoil the snort'.