Snort mailing list archives

Re: IIS Unicode attack detected

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew () andrew triumf ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Andrew R. Baker wrote:

And in 1.7.1 (which is still in beta).  You can hace the http_decode
processor
ignore certain hosts.

Me, too. (an IT cartoon recently suggested a filter for this in outgoing
mail :-)  )

I have also seen many false positives on this and afaik no real alerts.
Playing with code red rules recently I dumped some  data and can say yes,
it looks like a Japanese user using a search engine, e.g.

GET /intl/ja/images/Title_Lef.gif HTTP/1.0
If-Modified-Since: Tue, 21 Nov 20 16:20:07 GMT; length=4841
Referer:
http://www.google.com/search?q=.....s.R.%EC%95s%97R%94%FC&hl=ja&lr=lang_ja
Connection: Keep-Alive

etc.

We don't have just one Asian user, and they don't all go to the same site,
so ignoring a host or two isn't going to help.

Is it not possible to trigger on real exploits and not just someone using
Unicode ?

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF