Snort mailing list archives

Re: HUP causes wierd msgs in snort-1.8.1-beta6

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:08:52 +1200

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 02:56:22PM -0700, Erek Adams wrote:
But the short answer is this:  Due to the way the execv(2) call works, it
"Restarts" snort from scratch.  This has the odd side effect of making HUPS to
a chrooted snort become recursive.  For example, chroot to /snort.  It now
sees /snort as / .  Now HUP snort.  Snort now expects to have /snort/snort as
/ .  In other words, you have to re-create your directories for your jail
inside it.  4 HUPS and you will be in /snort/snort/snort/snort .  *bleh*

I don't think this applies to me.

I'm not running "snort -t", I'm running:

chroot dir /usr/sbin/snort -u snort .....

i.e. *I* set up the jail - not snort. So snort should be self-contained. HUP
should work as normal.

On our DMZ hosts, I make a habit of "manually" chroot'ing any network app I
can - HUP works as expected on squid,sockd,apache and mysql, so I can't
understand why snort has difficulties.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417